Most writers find the submission of the concept/proposal/manuscript to the publisher daunting. The good news is that Lucid Books is not a traditional publisher. For one thing you don't need a literary agent to get a meeting with us. Nor do you need a completed manuscript, though it makes the process easier. We want to help you better understand the process of scheduling a meeting, submitting your manuscript, and starting your journey with Lucid Books. This isn't a scary thing and should never intimidate you. We just want to help you get your message out to the world.
- Have a clear vision of what you want to write about. Though you don't need to have a completed manuscript yet, you do need to know what you want to write about, and it should be something you are passionate about. You are going to be the number one champion of your book. You are going to be involved in the overall design of your book. You are going to be in charge of promoting your book. So, you need to write about something that you really care about. Start writing as soon as you have an idea, you don't have to wait until you’ve had a meeting to start. The more you have to show us the better we can assess how long your project is going to take and how much help you will need.
- Complete the new author inquiry. Go to our website and click on the “Get Started” tab at the top. This will take you to our author inquiry page. Fill it out and attach a document containing your proposal of what you want to write about including what you have written so far or your entire manuscript if you have it. This doesn't have to be as formal as other publishing companies require. Just make sure that it looks and sounds professional.
- Get ready for our call. Within a few days of submitting your inquiry, someone from our sales team will contact you to set up a meeting. Be ready to discuss briefly what your book is, or will be about, and when you will be available for a meeting or phone call.
- Have a meeting. In this meeting you will be discussing your vision with a member of our sales team as well as the process if both parties decide it is in your best interest move forward with Lucid Books. Come prepared; Harry Bingham has some good advice on how to prepare yourself. You have a message that is important to tell the world and we want to help you do that, which is why number one above is so important. But, you shouldn't just be prepared to talk about your book. Come with questions for us. We want to help you fully understand what this process will look like for you.
- Get started. Once you decide that Lucid Books is the right publisher for you we will get started. We will help you find the package that best suits your needs and get the ball moving. Depending on how far along you are in the writing process dictates how quickly your book can be released. We don't keep you waiting. If a manuscript is complete then it will typically take 2-3 months to release a book. This includes editing time, cover and interior design, approval from you, and digital uploads.
Ultimately, this should be a very exciting time for you as a writer. Pitching your book to a publisher is one of the first steps in your book’s life, not to mention one of your first opportunities to share its message with someone. We understand that it can seem like a scary process from the outside, and with traditional publishers it can be a longer process. But, we want to make you feel comfortable and relaxed enough to share with us your creative vision. And, more than anything, we want to help you along in bringing your vision to fruition.
What do you find most intimidating about pitching your manuscript to a publisher? Let us know in the comments section below.
[gravityform id=\”4\” name=\”Subscribe to the Lucid Blog\”]